Monday, February 6, 2017

Digi Fab - Living Hinge Notebook

Digital Fabrication Project Blog ~ Spring 2017
Class assignment #1 (laser cut - living hinge notebook) 

Image source: 
I decided to use a few linoleum block prints I made last year of Russian nesting dolls (matryoshka). They are intended to be rotated and used over and over to make a repeating pattern. 
















Converting images to digital:
I then scanned some of the best prints and cleaned them up in Photoshop













I took a selection of this with the magic wand, made a black copy on a new layer and imported it to Illustrator.













Once in Illustrator, I added it to the living hinge template and adjusted the sizes. 
I also set the images to RGB and rasterize. 
BLACK = Raster engrave
BLUE = Vector engrave
RED = Vector cut















Laser Cutting -












Final Product -












I am pretty happy with the outcome of my first laser cut exercise. I am glad I used my own design on the cover. Translating my art into different digital mediums interests me. I hope to incorporate more of my original illustrations into the rest of our projects.   

No comments:

Post a Comment