Friday, March 24, 2017

Digi-Fab 3D printed mini Bust with added object

3D printed mini bust with pumpkin hat













First I used the iPad scanning software to scan my head and shoulders. I then imported the file to Meshmixer. There I repaired holes in the mesh by dropping in primitive shapes and then combining the forms. 

Basic iPad scan with no changes


Small hole in the top of the head
small hole and large dent in
the neck behind the hair
primitives dropped in and smoothed over

 I also scanned a foreign object, the top of my Pumpkin juice bottle. I imported it to mesh mixer and combined it with my bust to make a pumpkin hat.

Original item scanned
Plain iPad scan


final form


I sent the file to Simplify 3D and prepared the file for print by scaling, adding supports and a raft. The print quality was set at medium and I scaled it to be roughly 1.5” X 1.5”. The infill was set at 15%. The run time was only 49 minutes. 

Nozzle path with supports and raft


I am pretty happy with the print, I had no issues with failures. However, the hole in my neck under my hair didn’t print smoothed over like I had hoped, I looks a little jumbled and confused in the nozzle path. Also, the bottom got stuck to my raft because I forgot to lift the figure and add small break away columns in Simplify 3D.

weird hole in neck

raft stuck to bottom

No comments:

Post a Comment