Friday, May 12, 2017

Digi Fab - Final Project (Public Art Piece Maquette)

Digi Fab - Final Project (Public Art Piece Maquette)













3D printed Duck and Dandy Lions for a Children's Museum and/or Garden.













 These sculptures would be cast out of bronze and be placed in a outdoor garden or park for children. The pieces will be large, approximately 10 feet high (Duck) and 8 feet high (Flowers). This will give a sense of whimsy and fantasy not only to the children but also the adults. I was inspired by the Children's Garden at The Huntington Library in Pasadena.

Children's Garden at The Huntington









First I modeled the characters in Meshmixer/Cinema 4D going off some doodles I made.


Doodles

Duck in hat and rain boots













3 Dandy Lions









I modeled one flower and then changed the expression slightly on each. There is a regular face, a sad face, and a grumpy face.

tool path with supports and raft













The most trouble I had was removing the supports. The duck stands on its own, but the legs broke when I was removing the supports, and I had to glue them back with plastic glue. Also the green filament I used for the flowers didn't lie down flat when building up the base so the bottoms of the pots are lumpy and rough.

printing













printing





































I decided to do another 3D print for the final because I really enjoyed project #2 and love to see my doodles become 3D objects. I just wish the surface area was smoother and the supports were easier to remove without scratching and nicking it. I think as the technology progresses this will no longer be a problem in the future.




No comments:

Post a Comment